The Department of Licensing (DOL) continues transitioning more of its services online. During the pandemic we have been adjusting our service model to try to help as many people as possible as safely as possible. The health and safety of our employees and customers is always our top priority.
Social distancing measures and other health guidelines are in place and capacity at driver licensing offices has been significantly reduced and there is limited appointment availability. This could mean waiting a while for an appointment date. Please go online first.
DOL online services are the first option in most instances.
There are a lot of services you can do online. Customers are strongly encouraged to go to our website first and take advantage of the following services:
- Renewing a driver license, identification card, vehicle registration, or instruction permit online. Persons under age 24 and over 70 may renew online for a limited time.
- Applying for a first-time non-photo instruction permit.
- Commercial driver licenses (CDLs) and commercial learner permits (CLPs) expiring on or after March 1 were extended to Sept. 30, 2020. All CDL types and endorsements are covered.
- Driver licenses and instruction permits expiring March 1 through Sept. 30, 2020 have been automatically extended.
- Obtaining an enhanced driver licenses (EDLs) and enhanced IDs (EIDs) can wait. The REAL ID enforcement date has been pushed back a year to Oct. 1, 2021. TSA will accept expired state ID at checkpoints if people are unable to renew at a driver licensing office.
Appointments are strictly for customers whose only option is to visit a driver licensing office.
We greatly appreciate those people who have done their transactions online so that people who are required to have an in-person appointment can get one.
Services offered by appointment only include:
- First-time driver license, including knowledge and skills testing (where offered)
- First-time identification card
- Enhanced driver license (EDL) and enhanced ID (EID)
- Name change on license/ID
- Photo instruction permit
- Commercial driver license (CDL) and commercial learner permit (CLP)
- Agricultural permit, including knowledge and skills testing (where offered)
- Reinstatement, including knowledge and skills testing (where offered)
- Occupational restricted license
- Driver training school instructor test
Customers can only make an appointment 30 days out. A limited number of new appointment slots (30 days out) do open up daily. The scheduling system automatically offers the first available dates. If appointment slots are filled, customers can try again the next day.
Those who show up to an office without an appointment will be scheduled for a return visit or redirected as needed.
Vehicle Licensing Offices are open
Vehicle licensing offices (VLOs) are open. They will help you with vehicle tabs, boat decals, license plates, reports of vehicle sale or transfer of ownership, vehicle/boat registrations, trip permits, replacement titles, disabled parking placards/tabs, and more. You can find your nearest vehicle office on our website.
Please be patient, as call volumes are high due to the pandemic.
- Driver licensing: 360-902-3900
- Vehicle licensing: 360-902-3770
- Online appointments: https://www.dol.wa.gov/appointments/